Yesterday (Easter Sunday) I substitute taught in Relief Society. My lesson assignment was on Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk Why the Church. The talk is pretty straight forward, which I love. I tried to prepare for this lesson for two weeks, but struggled most of that time to figure out the correct approach to take when teaching. I had a hard time creating my outline, picking out wisdom nuggets to build on, discussion topics, etc. I prayed often for help and inspiration. Experience has taught me that the inspiration does eventually come, especially if I am prayerful and continue to study and try to figure it out. I think the lesson went well. There was a good amount of participation, we had a little fun in the lesson, and I know at least a few of us felt the spirit. And I gave out Easter candy. Candy is always good. I created a little handout to go along with my lesson. I enjoy creating little handouts. ...
And then I made bread with it. For a lot of years I was intimidated by the thought of making homemade yeast-risen bread. I wanted to beat this one though. And I have! Hooray! I've had plenty of failures along the way... like fallen bread, dense funky bread, dry bread, etc. But I finally made some good loaves, and these loaves are perfect for sandwiches, with dinner, for toast, sacrament bread, french toast... you name it. And I've done it more with repeated success, so I think I've got it... for now. I got a Kitchen-Aid mixer this past year, and I vowed to use that sucker for bread-making. I know it's not the real earthy and snobbishly proper way to knead one's dough, but so what?! I like the one-bowl contained mess of kneading the dough, and I'm more likely to flip a switch than make sure I have an entire counter cleared off for the kneading of dough. Just sayin'. Inevitably, I will somehow miss a stuck little chunk ...
I was asked to speak in my ward's sacrament meeting yesterday. I was given a week to prepare, and that was more than enough time to prepare a talk, especially given the assigned topic:"How the Pathway Program Can Aid in Self-Reliance" Initially, as it so often goes, I had one plan for the way to direct my talk. Then, with prayer and pondering, a different direction came to light. I like when that happens. I like knowing it's not actually all up to me. We still ended up going over a couple minutes in sacrament meeting. Here is the talk I tried to deliver. President Russell M. Nelson said, “Gain all the education you can. For us as Latter-day Saints, gaining an education is not just a privilege, it is a religious responsibility.” I am an education missionary for the Church. With a lot of love, I’m going to talk to you about education and how furthering our educations can help us become more self-reliant. Elder Robert D. Hales taught, “Education prepares you for...
Comments
Post a Comment